I once asked a few Jewish friends, why it was that people have hated the Jews so much over the millennium. Answers varied, none of which satisfied me very much. So, I drew my own conclusion that the true reason Jews have been oppressed, discriminated against and murdered by the millions since pre-Biblical times, and until the present, can be summed up three simple words: They won’t convert. Jews are proud. They want to be Jews. That frustrates the hell out of religious fanatics who obsess with domination.
Over history, religion has been about control and power. Jews refused to give in to Egyptians. They were vilified by the early Christians, blamed for the death of Jesus and centuries later were faced with mass discrimination and murder by Crusaders and fanatical evangelists.
Muhammed was particularly frustrated with Jews in their villages, especially after he began his Medina-based expansion campaign throughout the mid-east. Jews wouldn’t convert. Thus, they were humiliated, forced to pay a dhimmi tax (unbeliever tax), and in some cases murdered by in beheadings. When the Jewish men were killed, their wives were taken as slaves/concubines and the children were hustled into Islamic madrases to get fully indoctrinated into the Koran.
Muhammed told his followers, “Spread Islam throughout the world.” They did. And not by peaceful means. That edict is still followed to this day by the hard core fundamentalist Islamists in every country they live in. According to their belief, Jews are hated, they are the enemy, Jews must be subservient to Islam, Jews must convert, or Jews must be killed. It would be nice to see the world through rose-colored glasses and think this is a small group of nuts who espouse this obsession. Unfortunately, it’s gone on for 1400 years. It hasn’t gone away.
Meanwhile, following the Holocaust, Jews finally formed a homeland in 1948, thanks to the United Nations, in a place called Israel, which they had been their homeland over two thousand years ago, 600 years before Muhammed was a twinkle in his father’s eye. Long before the birth of Islam.
Palestinians were offered their own homeland, but refused. Instead, Israel was became the repeated target of warring attacks by Arab nations. Palestinians refused to recognize the legitimate existence of Israel…to this day. That refusal, is the root of all the wars and aggression toward the tiny state of Israel, who only wish to live in peace among its neighbors.
It’s interesting to note, that Israel (or the Jewish people in general) have no designs on world domination. They have never espoused the desire to convert other nations, or other peoples. They do not wish to conquer any other nation. Instead, they only wish not to be conquered.
In the short 62 years that Israel has existed, their accomplishments and contributions to humanity around the world has been nothing less than astounding. This includes technical research, business development, medical science, sports, arts and music, agriculture, and so much more. They took arid deserts and made them into thriving oases, forests and farms. All this, while their hateful neighbors spend their time effort and money, not only trying to destroy Israel, but maintain a constant vigil of hate, teaching their children to hate. That, plus a propaganda campaign that impacts world opinion against them. In truth, the rest of the world cowers to the 57 state Islamic UN block for one reason: Arabs have the trump card called Oil. Without oil, they would still be living in tents, riding camels, bowing to sheiks and enslaving women.
If I were to list the contributions of that tiny nation in a single blog, it would take hundreds of pages. But here’s a few stats, demographics and contributions to give you a sampling:
* With 7.5 million people, Israel’s citizens includes 16 percent, or 1.2 Arab Muslims. (What other country in the mid-east embraces Jewish participation?)
* Currently, 13 of Israels’ governing body (Knesset) are elected Arabs/Muslims. (Same Question)
* As of March 22nd, 35 rockets have been fired from Palestinians just in 2010. One killed a Thai woman in a town in southern Israel
* Since 2001, over 9000 rockets have been arbitrarily launched into Israel by Palestinians, with a death toll of 29 civilians. Many of those came after the return of Gaza to the Palestinians in 2005.
* Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East. The per capita income in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.
* Israel’s $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.
* Twenty-four percent of Israel’s workforce holds university degrees – ranking third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland – and 12 percent hold advanced degrees.
* Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.
* When Gold Meir was elected Prime Minister of Israel in 1969, she became the world’s second elected female leader in modern times.
* When the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day – and saved three victims from the rubble.
* Israel has the third highest rate of entrepreneurship – and the highest rate among women and among people over 55 – in the world.
* Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity.
* According to industry officials, Israel designed the airline industry’s most impenetrable flight security. U.S. officials now look to Israel for advice on how to handle airborne security threats.
* In 1991, during the Gulf War, the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra played a concert wearing gas masks as scud missiles fired by Saddam Hussein fell on Tel Aviv.
* Israel has the world’s second highest per capita of new books.
* Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees.
* Israel has more museums per capita than any other country.
* Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized, no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.
* An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment. Every year in U.S. hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.
* Israel’s Givun imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. Used to view the small intestine from the inside, the camera helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders.
* Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with congestive heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the heart’s mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.
* With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and start-ups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world (apart from the Silicon Valley).
* In response to serious water shortages, Israeli engineers and agriculturalists developed a revolutionary drip irrigation system to minimize the amount of water used to grow crops.
* Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.
* Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, with 145 per 10,000, as opposed to 85 in the U.S., over 70 in Japan, and less than 60 in Germany.
* The cell phone was developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.
* Most of the Windows NT operating system was developed by Microsoft-Israel.
* The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.
* Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.
* The technology for AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.
* A new acne treatment was developed in Israel which produces an ultraviolet-light-free, narrow-band blue light that causes acne bacteria to self-destruct – all without damaging surroundings skin or tissue
* An Israeli company was the first to develop and install a large-scale solar-powered and fully functional electricity generating plant, in southern California’s Mojave desert.
This is the country that its many enemies wish to destroy. If they succeed, the loss would not only be Israel’s, it would be all of humanity…including their enemies.